The number of people seeking plastic surgery continues to grow, according to the latest report released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the largest organization of board-certified plastic surgeons. The report revealed that there were 17.5 million cosmetic procedures performed in 2017, a 2 percent increase from the previous year.
Trusted Los Angeles plastic surgeon Dr. George Sanders breaks down the ASPS’ latest findings on plastic surgery in this blog post.
Top 5 Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
Breast augmentation continues to the most popular surgical cosmetic procedure, and has been since 2006. The top five most popular surgical procedures of 2017 were:
- Breast augmentation (300,378)
- Liposuction (246,354)
- Rhinoplasty or nose reshaping (218,924)
- Eyelid surgery (209,571)
- Tummy tuck (129,753)
Top 5 Non-Surgical Procedures
Minimally invasive procedures made up 15.7 million of the total number of cosmetic procedures performed in 2017. The top five were:
- Botox (7.23 million)
- Dermal fillers (2.69 million)
- Chemical peel (1.37 million)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million)
- Microdermabrasion (740,287)
Other Findings from ASPS
- Breast reduction surgery, which removes excess fat and skin from the breasts, increased by 11 percent from the previous year. Experts believe the increase in breast reduction surgery reflects the growing focus on more proportionate and natural-looking breasts and body curves.
- Tummy tuck, a body contouring procedure that tightens and tones the abdomen by removing loose skin and tissue, made a comeback in 2017. The procedure returned to the top five surgical procedures after falling short the previous year.
- Butt augmentation with fat transfer, which uses fat from one body area to enhance the shape and size of the buttocks, increased 10 percent from the previous year. Meanwhile, traditional butt lift increased by 13 percent.
What Are Your Cosmetic Needs?
Has hearing about the latest trends in plastic surgery inspired you to pursue your own cosmetic goals? Dr. Sanders would be happy to discuss surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures that might interest you, during an in-office consultation. After evaluating your aesthetic needs and goals, Dr. Sanders can create an individualized treatment plan for you. To contact our Encino practice, please call (818) 981-3333 or send us an email today.