Dr. Sanders is a board-certified plastic surgeon who is highly experienced in using the latest tummy tuck techniques to help his patients slim down, tone up, and achieve their cosmetic goals.
If you have stubborn abdominal fat that is holding you back from a beautifully contoured figure, a tummy tuck may be the right surgical option for you. Learn more about how this effective procedure can help you look and feel your best, and contact Dr. Sanders in the San Fernando Valley to schedule a consultation.
The Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
When considering a tummy tuck, there are several benefits, including:
- Completely Customizable – Dr. Sanders can target and tighten up specific parts of your abdomen to help you achieve your unique goals, such as the “love handles.”
- Better Posture – During a tummy tuck, Dr. Sanders can surgically tighten and improve your abdominal muscles for added support and better posture.
- Improved Appearance – Remove excess fat, sagging skin, and unwanted stretch marks to achieve a flatter, more contoured abdomen.
- More Clothing Options – By tightening your stomach with a tummy tuck, clothes will fit better and look more flattering, giving you the option to expand your wardrobe.
- Better Quality of Life – When you are living in a body you love and feel confident in, you benefit from overall better quality of life.
It is Generally Ideal For
- You struggle to eliminate excess fat and skin on your abdomen.
- You want to tone and contour your tummy with natural-looking results.
- You have weakened and/or separated abdominal muscles.
- You have stretch marks or scars that can be removed with a tummy tuck.
- You struggle with back pain due to weakened abdominal muscles.
- You are ready to restore your body after pregnancy or significant weight loss.
- You are in optimal physical and mental health.
- You are at a healthy weight.
- You have realistic expectations for the procedure results.
It is Not So Great For
- Individuals who are at an unhealthy weight.
- Individuals who have a medical condition or illness that may increase the risk of complications during surgery or interfere with your healing after the procedure.
- Individuals who have unrealistic goals or expectations for their tummy tuck.
- Individuals that are pregnant.
- Individuals who have poor skin quality.
How Old Do I Have to Be?
The minimum age to undergo a tummy tuck is 18 years old. If you are concerned about your age, Dr. Sanders will work with you to determine if this procedure is right for you and your cosmetic goals.
Before and After – Results
Explore the before and after photo gallery below to get a better idea of how Dr. Sanders can shape and contour your figure with a tummy tuck in the San Fernando Valley.
The Procedure Process Explained
Dr. Sanders goes into more detail regarding your initial consultation, how to prepare for your tummy tuck, what surgery is like, and what you can expect during recovery.
A successful consultation with Dr. Sanders educates you on tummy tuck surgery and puts your mind at ease before scheduling your procedure. This is your first opportunity to meet Dr. Sanders and get to know him, as well as the rest of his experienced team.
During your consultation, Dr. Sanders will perform an examination of your body and ask you to point out your main concerns to better understand the vision you have for your figure. He will use this information to build you a personalized treatment plan that helps you achieve your cosmetic goals.
Furthermore, this is the best time to ask questions, address your concerns, and collaborate with Dr. Sanders to determine if this is the right procedure for you and your unique needs.
What Should I Do in Preparation?
There are several steps you should take in preparation for your tummy tuck surgery.
- Visit your primary doctor to ensure you are healthy enough for surgery.
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle, including a nutritious diet and regular exercise.
- Eliminate any blood thinners or anti-inflammatory medication or supplements.
- Stop smoking and limit your intake of alcohol.
- Enlist the help of others; plan for someone to drive you home after surgery and arrange childcare (if necessary).
- Stock up on groceries to minimize your to-do list during recovery.
- Equip your closet with loose, comfortable clothing.
What is Surgery Like?
Tummy tuck surgery, also referred to as an abdominoplasty, is a highly customized procedure. So, yours may look slightly different compared to others. However, Dr. Sanders generally follows these steps when performing tummy tuck surgery:
- The first step is administering anesthesia. Before your surgery, Dr. Sanders will work with you to determine which form of anesthesia is right for you.
- Next, depending on the type of tummy tuck you have chosen, Dr. Sanders will make the incisions necessary for removing the excess fat and skin, as well as unwanted stretch marks. The amount of excess skin removed, and the type of tummy tuck you have chosen will determine the shape and length of the incision. Generally, this incision is made right above your pubic hairline and right below your bikini line.
- Thirdly, Dr. Sanders may reposition your belly button into a desirable and natural-looking location.
- Lastly, once Dr. Sanders has removed all the excess fat and skin, and tightened your abdominal muscles depending on your treatment plan, he will close the incisions with sutures. Conclusively, the entire surgery takes around three hours to complete.
What Should I Expect in Terms of Recovery?
Recovery is an important part of your tummy tuck procedure. After your procedure, Dr. Sanders will likely cover your surgical site with compression garments to control swelling and facilitate optimal healing.
During your recovery process, you can expect some slight discomfort, swelling, and soreness. Dr. Sanders may prescribe you pain medication to ensure you are as comfortable as possible. You may also experience minor bruising, numbness, and fatigue.
Generally, recovery takes around two weeks. Minimizing your activities during this time is crucial for healing and ensuring your surgical site is not compromised. At your initial consultation, Dr. Sanders will discuss your individual recovery process with you in more detail.
Meet Our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Sanders is a trusted board-certified plastic surgeon that has helped thousands of individuals of all ages, gender identities, and ethnicities achieve their aesthetic and cosmetic goals.
With almost three decades of plastic surgery experience and an education background featuring some of the most prestigious medical organizations in the world, including Harvard Medical School and UCLA Medical Center, Dr. Sanders profoundly understands how to combine surgical precision and aesthetic artistry for beautiful, natural results.
He is proud to serve patients throughout the San Fernando Valley and is passionate about helping them look and feel their best.
Other Things to Consider
Other Things to Consider
Are There Any Risks Involved?
Dr. Sanders is highly experienced in performing tummy tuck surgery, so you can expect a safe and comfortable surgery with him. However, there are a few risks associated with tummy tuck surgery, such as scarring, hematoma, changes in skin sensation, poor wound healing, infection, and anesthesia risks. It is important to understand that these risks are uncommon.
Will I Need to Request Extensive Time Off from Work?
Dr. Sanders recommends his tummy tuck patients take at least two weeks off from work to prioritize rest and healing. It is important not to strain yourself too much during this time, or you may risk reopening the wound.
Are There Scars After Surgery?
While Dr. Sanders uses advanced tummy tuck techniques that minimize potential scarring, you will likely have a scar just above your pubic hairline. This incision will be low enough to be covered by a swimsuit or underwear. The amount of excess skin you have removed will determine the length of your incision.
How Long Will My Results Last?
Results of a tummy tuck are generally long-lasting, as long as you maintain a stable weight. Dr. Sanders recommends following a healthy diet and regularly exercising to maintain your new look. If you gain a significant amount of weight or become pregnant, a follow-up surgery session may be required to restore your initial results.
Does My Insurance Cover the Procedure?
Generally, insurance does not cover elective cosmetic procedures, such as a tummy tuck, as this is not medically necessary. To ensure each and every patient has an opportunity to look and feel like their best self, Dr. Sanders offers affordable monthly payment options.
Is Getting a Tummy Tuck Really Worth it?
Many of Dr. Sanders’ tummy tuck patients exclaim that this procedure helped restore their confidence and elevated their quality of life. If you are looking to flatten your abdomen and contour your body, a tummy tuck can help you achieve your goals.
You’re in Good Hands with Dr. Sanders
A Harvard Medical School-educated and board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Sanders performs a wide variety of plastic and reconstructive procedures in the San Fernando Valley. He draws on his thirty years of plastic surgery experience and aesthetic artistry skills to deliver remarkable results.
Dr. Sanders is committed to helping his patients achieve their desired goals through personalized treatment plans and providing the highest care and service for an exceptional experience. If you are ready to look and feel your best, schedule a consultation with Dr. Sanders today by calling (818) 981-3333.