Have you started noticing more and more signs of aging on your face, like deep wrinkles, sagging skin, and loss of definition? If anti-aging creams, self-care rituals, and beauty treatments have not worked to rejuvenate your skin, a facelift may be an ideal way to reinvigorate your youthful appearance. Aging involves changes to the skin as well as to the deeper tissue, such as muscle sagging, fat atrophy, or fat drooping. A facelift addresses all of these problem areas.
Drawing on his years of experience and using the latest plastic surgery techniques, Dr. Sanders can turn back the clock and restore your youthful features with a facelift in the San Fernando Valley. Learn more about how this popular plastic surgery procedure can benefit your appearance below, and schedule a consultation with Dr. Sanders today.
The Benefits of a Facelift
What are some reasons you might want a facelift in the San Fernando Valley? Here are some remarkable benefits of getting this procedure with Dr. Sanders.
- Target Multiple Signs of Aging – During a facelift, Dr. Sanders can target and address several different signs of aging in one surgery session, such as sagging skin, fine lines and wrinkles, facial creases, and excess fat (i.e., double chin).
- Tighten Sagging Facial Skin – As we age, our skin naturally loses its elasticity as collagen levels deplete, resulting in loose or sagging skin. With a facelift, Dr. Sanders can remove excess skin and tighten the skin to restore a smooth, youthful appearance.
- Reduce Deep Wrinkles – When Dr. Sanders eliminates sagging skin and tightens up your appearance, this helps to smooth out deep wrinkles and superficial fine lines for an anti-aging effect.
- Improve Your Double Chin – If you have lost definition in your face over the years or struggle to eliminate your double chin, even if you are thin, Dr. Sanders can remove the excess fat and skin to deliver a slimmer, more defined jawline.
Am I a Good Candidate?
It is Generally Ideal for You If
- You are in good overall health and do not have any medical conditions or illnesses that would impact your surgery or results.
- You have a healthy outlook on the procedure and realistic expectations.
- Your skin is in good condition, healthy, and clear overall.
- You have loose, sagging skin, contributing to an aged appearance.
It is Not So Great for You If
- You have severely sun-damaged skin.
- You have a medical condition that may put you at risk during surgery.
- You actively smoke cigarettes or use tobacco products.
- You are at an unhealthy weight.
- You have a medical condition that may impede healing.
- You are in an unhealthy state of mind.
- You are choosing to have this procedure for someone else.
How Old Do I Have to Be?
The minimum age for plastic surgery is 18 years old. Dr. Sanders generally finds most of his patients are in their 40s and 50s; however, the optimal age to get a facelift depends on your unique circumstances, needs, and cosmetic goals.
Before and After – Results
Get a better understanding of how a facelift can turn back the clock and improve your appearance by browsing Dr. Sanders’ before and after photo gallery below.
The Procedure Process Explained
Dr. Sanders has a tried and tested procedure process that delivers the best possible results and helps you achieve your cosmetic goals. He follows a patient-centered approach that begins with a detailed consultation to build your customized treatment plan. Then, he ensures you are comfortable moving forward with a pre-surgical guide, as well as a recovery and aftercare plan.
Your initial consultation is an ideal opportunity to get to know Dr. Sanders and his team, learn more about his facelift skills and experience, and better understand how he can help you look and feel like your best self.
Additionally, during your consultation, Dr. Sanders will perform an examination of your face and ask questions about your main concerns to create a personalized treatment plan based on your unique needs and cosmetic goals.
Furthermore, this is the best time to ask questions and address your concerns regarding facelift surgery. Dr. Sanders is here to ensure you feel comfortable moving forward with the procedure and are confident in his ability to deliver your desired facelift results.
What Should I Do in Preparation?
In preparation for your facelift procedure, Dr. Sanders recommends you:
- Stop smoking and limit alcohol intake, as these may impact your body’s healing capabilities.
- Discontinue the use of certain supplements, vitamins, and medications, including Vitamin E, herbal supplements, blood thinners, and fish oil supplements.
- Visit your doctor to ensure you are healthy enough for surgery.
- Prepare for your recovery period by planning for a ride home, arranging childcare (if necessary), and stocking up on groceries.
What is Surgery Like?
Your procedure process will depend on which type of facelift you choose. Dr. Sanders offers five facelift options: full facelift, full neck lift, cheek lift, limited neck lift, and mini facelift.
During a full facelift, Dr. Sanders makes three incisions: one inside the front edge of the ear that extends under the sideburn and up into the temple area, another incision behind the ear that extends into the hairline, and a third beneath the chin.
He then removes and redistributes the fat and lifts the underlying tissue and muscles. Then, the skin is draped and repositioned, and excess skin is removed. Dr. Sanders then uses sutures to close up the incisions.
What Should I Expect in Terms of Recovery?
The entire facelift recovery period is about two weeks until you are able to resume social activities and light exercise. After your facelift procedure, it is important to follow your plastic surgeon’s recovery and aftercare recommendations.
The first week is especially important for prioritizing healing and recovery. Dr. Sanders will wrap the treated area in supportive dressing, which stays in place for three to five days. During this time, you may experience swelling, bruising, fatigue, and discomfort. Dr. Sanders will likely prescribe medication to help mitigate any discomfort you may have.
The day after your surgery, the dressing will be removed, and all areas of your face will be inspected. Dr. Sanders will place a lighter dressing for several more days. In a second follow up, the head dressing and any drains are removed, and a chin support is applied. Two weeks after surgery, the chin support is removed, and you are ready to resume light activity and social activities. The final results will be visible by year one.
Meet Our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Sanders is a trusted board-certified plastic surgeon that has helped thousands of individuals of all ages, gender identities, and ethnicities achieve their aesthetic and cosmetic goals.
With almost three decades of plastic surgery experience and an education background featuring some of the most prestigious medical organizations in the world, including Harvard Medical School and UCLA Medical Center, Dr. Sanders profoundly understands how to combine surgical precision and aesthetic artistry for beautiful, natural results.
He is proud to serve patients throughout the San Fernando Valley and is passionate about helping them look and feel their best.
Other Things to Consider Before Getting a Facelift
A facelift can be a life-changing procedure. However, there are a few other factors to consider before moving forward with your surgery, such as the risks involved, how much time you should take off from work, how long the results last, and if the procedure would be worth it to you.
Are There Any Risks Involved?
There are some risks associated with a facelift that you should be aware of, including bleeding, facial nerve damage, changes in skin sensation, infection, fluid accumulation, prolonged swelling, skin discoloration, and anesthesia risks.
However, these risks are rare, especially when you choose a board-certified plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Sanders, who has years of experience performing successful facelift procedures.
Will I Need to Request Extensive Time Off from Work?
This depends on the type of facelift you have. For a full facelift, Dr. Sanders recommends taking at least one week off from work to prioritize rest, healing, and recovery. However, if you have a particularly demanding job, he may recommend you take off additional time. At your initial consultation, Dr. Sanders will discuss an aftercare plan with you in more detail.
How Long Will My Results Last?
It generally takes 5-10 years after a facelift before you return to your preoperative appearance, though this depends on several different factors, including aging, genetics, and your lifestyle. Dr. Sanders recommends following a healthy diet, regularly exercising, and taking care of your skin daily to enjoy your facelift results for longer. Additionally, he may recommend touchup procedures to maintain and improve your results.
Is It Really Worth it?
A facelift can be an incredibly gratifying and rewarding procedure. By improving your appearance and achieving a more youthful look, you will feel more confident and self-assured, lending to overall better quality of life.
You’re in Good Hands with Dr. Sanders
A Harvard Medical School-educated and board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Sanders performs a wide variety of plastic and reconstructive procedures in the San Fernando Valley. He draws on his thirty years of plastic surgery experience and aesthetic artistry skills to deliver remarkable results.
Dr. Sanders is committed to helping his patients achieve their desired goals through personalized treatment plans and providing the highest care and service for an exceptional experience. If you are ready to look and feel your best, schedule a consultation with Dr. Sanders today by calling (818) 981-3333.