After pregnancy and breastfeeding, many women tend to face various cosmetic issues ranging from sagging breasts to excess skin in the stomach area. A mommy makeover is a specialized combination of procedures to address the changes that happen after pregnancy. These procedures may include a tummy tuck, liposuction, breast augmentation, and more. This article discusses the different types of procedures you can often find as part of a mommy makeover and how they can help you retrieve your pre-baby body.
Opting For a Mommy Makeover
A mommy makeover can be a great way to reclaim your youthful appearance after having children. If you have realistic expectations, a positive attitude, and overall good health, you are a good candidate for this procedure. Here are some of the benefits of a mommy makeover:
- Improved appearance by way of breast augmentation, tummy tuck, liposuction, and more
- Increased confidence due to better fitting clothes
- Improved mental health because you look and feel good about yourself
Who Should Have a Mommy Makeover?
Mommy makeovers can help reverse the physical changes associated with aging and childbearing. You may consider undergoing this surgery if your body has a combination of the following:
- Sagging breasts, decreasing breast volume, stretched areolas, uneven breasts, and drooping nipples
- Enlarged breasts that have become out of proportion with your body and cause you back pain
- Stretch marks and loose skin on your tummy
- Thick and undefined waistline with excess fat in your hips and thighs
- Fatty areas hanging over your scar due to a C-section
- Early signs of aging around your eyes and on your face
During your consultation, your plastic surgeon will evaluate your health and discuss the combination of procedures you can undergo for your mommy makeover.
What Are the Surgical Procedures Involved in a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover is more than just a single procedure; it is a series of surgical procedures that will help you get your pre-pregnancy body back. Here are some of the procedures and what you can expect.
After pregnancy, you may find yourself with excess skin in the tummy area. This excess is often a result of the following:
- Poor skin elasticity
- Stretching of connective tissue and abdominal muscles
- Fat from the ribs to the pubic bone
When the inner girdle of connective tissue keeps the internal organs in place is stretched during pregnancy, your stomach will start protruding. Abdominoplasty, commonly referred to as a tummy tuck, will remove the loose skin and fat and tighten the inner girdle. It also removes the excess skin in your lower abdomen and the stretch marks below the belly button.
What to Expect
Your plastic surgeon will remove excess fat and skin between your pubic bone and belly button in an elliptical shape for this procedure. Your doctor will then tighten the outermost muscle layer on top of the abdominal muscles from the top of the abdomen downward with sutures and reposition the skin around your belly button. Afterward, your doctor will close the incision from hip to hip with sutures along the natural crease within your bikini line. Keep in mind that this may leave a scar that will vary in visibility and length. A skilled board-certified plastic surgeon can minimize scars by performing skilled incisions and offering post-surgery scar care instructions.
Drains are usually not needed, nor are pain pumps since a long-lasting local anesthetic is used.
Liposuction is a common procedure that can be used to reshape your hips and flanks and other areas like the knees, chest, neck, thighs, and upper arms. Your doctor will likely recommend it when you have a tummy tuck to achieve a shapelier figure.
What to Expect
During surgery, your plastic surgeon will inject a sterile liquid with a local anesthetic for the pain and epinephrine to reduce bleeding. Your doctor will make tiny incisions and insert a cannula to suction the fat onto a high-vacuum hose. They will apply dressings and a compression garment after removing the fat.
A breast lift is a surgical procedure that restores your breast to a more youthful, perky shape. It is a popular procedure for people who want to look younger (and do not want to wear a bra). Breast lifts are also a good option for women who wish to correct drooping breasts, nipples, and areolas.
What to Expect
To get your desired results, you must be completely clear with your doctor about the size and look you want. Your surgeon will recommend a breast lift if you have excess skin, droopy breasts, or uneven nipples. The surgery can be done under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation, and your surgeon will make incisions and remove the excess skin. Afterward, the doctor will reposition your areola and nipple before closing the incisions.
Breast reduction can be a good option for women who have had their breasts swell after pregnancy or breastfeeding. If you have been experiencing any pain, rashes, breathing problems, or low self-esteem from having large breasts, you may also benefit from a breast reduction.
What to Expect
During breast reduction surgery, your doctor will make an incision, reduce the areola, and reposition your nipple, after which he will lift, reduce, and shape the breast tissue. If the breast enlargement is due to fatty tissue, the surgeon may also perform liposuction. The sutures within the breast tissue will support and create the appearance of a smaller breast. The procedure will take anywhere from 3 to 3.5 hours, and you will have to wear a surgical bra for a few weeks. Sutures and surgical tape will be removed in 10 to 14 days.
Breast augmentation surgery is an excellent option for women who want to increase their breast size after pregnancy or any cosmetic reason. There are several options available with this surgery, including fat grafting, saline implants, and silicone gel implants.
What to Expect
Your plastic surgeon will make an incision for implants and lift your breast tissue to place the silicone or saline gel implant in a pocket they created in the chest area. You can have your implant either on top or underneath the pectoral muscle, which is the flesh between the chest wall and breast tissue.
If you prefer to have larger breasts or rounded breast mounds that are less droopy, your surgeon may suggest a breast lift combined with a breast augmentation procedure.
Some plastic surgeons can use fat from your own body instead if you do not want silicone or saline implants. Fat grafting is a minimally invasive procedure that requires enough fat on your body for the surgery to be successful.
12 Mommy Makeover Tips to Consider Before Surgery
In addition to learning about the different types of procedures involved in a mommy makeover, we have put together a list of tips to help you prepare for the process.
- A mommy makeover is an outpatient surgery, but you may be requested to stay overnight in a recovery suite for observation.
- Your recovery may take up to two weeks, but some procedures may take longer. Be aware that you may have swollen, sore, and bruised areas for up to two weeks.
- Request a friend or a family member to help you around the house for several days while recuperating.
- You cannot drive right after your surgery, so you must enlist the help of somebody else. You can only drive when your surgeon has stopped your pain medications.
- Swelling can last for more than six months, and you will be able to see the full results of your mommy makeover once all the swelling has subsided.
- Heavy lifting and vigorous exercise are not recommended for at least six weeks. This includes children or babies over 10 pounds.
- If you do not want to have a delayed recovery, you must stop smoking at least a month before and after surgery. Remember that smoking can delay wound healing, decrease circulation, and increase the risks of complications.
- Take care of your body by exercising regularly, eating a balanced diet, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- If you want to have more children, it may best to wait until after you are done having children to achieve and maintain your desired results.
- Weight fluctuations may undo the results of your mommy makeover. It is recommended that you maintain a healthy lifestyle for the effects to be long-term.
- Do your research and pick a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in mommy makeovers. You should not risk your safety and health to save money.
- Prepare for a boost in self-confidence from your mommy makeover.
Consulting With Your Plastic Surgeon
You can only make the most intelligent and informed decision about a mommy makeover if you take an active role in the process. When you go to your initial consultation, find out about the possible outcomes, risks, and alternatives.
Your initial consultation with your chosen surgeon will give you the chance to learn more about the mommy makeover and discuss your goals. The doctor will recommend the best procedures for you, so be honest with your answers so that you can have the best possible outcome.
Preparing for Your Mommy Makeover
Preparing for a mommy makeover means that your doctor will most likely request you to do the following:
- Have a medical evaluation and undergo several tests to check if you are physically fit for the procedure
- Get your current medication reassessed to see if you need to stop a few of them or if you need to add new ones
- Stop smoking immediately because this can interfere with anesthesia, compromise heart function, and make it harder for you to heal from the surgery
- Avoid taking herbal supplements, anti-inflammatory drugs, and aspirin because they can intensify bleeding
Understanding Your Treatment Plan
After evaluating your health status and skin elasticity, you and your surgeon will discuss options and recommendations for a course of treatment. You will also talk about the risks or complications and the type of anesthetic that you will receive.
Depending on your physical characteristics, goals, and your surgeon’s years of experience and training, your doctor will recommend the best course of action for you, including the following:
- A plan for your surgery, including the procedures that you will have
- The results that you can expect
- The financial investment you need
- Associated complications and risks
- Alternatives for surgery location and anesthesia
- What to prepare for your mommy makeover
- What to expect after the surgery
Your surgeon will likely share some before-and-after photos of past patients whose cases were similar to yours. This is a great way to see actual results from real patients.
Start Your Mommy Makeover
A mommy makeover can give you back the body you once had. When you are ready to take the next step, find a board-certified and reputable plastic surgeon near you to schedule a consultation.
Your surgeon will help you decide if you should get a mommy makeover and inform you of the cost of your procedures, payment options, and healthcare financing.
If you are searching for a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience and skill in mommy makeovers, consider booking an appointment with Dr. George Sanders in the Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley area.